• Businesses are expected to grow significantly in the city with the opening of the new Shanghai Disney Resort.

Businesses are expected to grow significantly in the city with the opening of the new Shanghai Disney Resort. (Photo : Reuters)

The Shanghai Disney Resort is expected to provide opportunities to various sectors with the opening of the park in the coming month, China Daily reported.

Like Us on Facebook

During its six-week trial operation, the park's attractions, entertainment and dining outlets have attracted thousands of visitors.

Theme parks have generated about 230 billion yuan out of the 4 trillion yuan ($616 billion) total domestic tourism revenue last year, according to Chinese Tourism Academy.

The new Shanghai resort is expected to boost major investments on real estate and transportation industries, as well as the catering, hotels and retail sectors, Jiang Yiyi, a researcher with the academy, said.

Shanghai Disney is estimated to attract 16 million visitors annually and generate 50 billion yuan in spending, according to Ctrip.com, China's leading online tourism agency. The agency added that more than 100 tourism products and packages have been specifically developed for the resort, with different combinations of accommodation, transport and entertainment.

Yan Xin, Ctrip's senior public affairs manager, said that the growth rate of tour business is also expected to double with the high-profile opening of the resort.

The aviation industry is also expected to grow significantly with the opening of the resort, the report said.

As official sponsor of Shanghai Disney Resort, China Eastern Airlines Corporation Ltd. recently launched the first in a series of aircraft decorated with the resort's themes. Two of its airplanes carry the theme of the resort's Enchanted Storybook Castle, while other planes will welcome guests featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

"We know there is excitement throughout China for the upcoming opening and we are excited that China Eastern will be helping fly visitors into the region to visit the new vacation destination," Liu Shaoyong, China Eastern's chairman, said.

Shanghai Disney Resort is a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group. The Shanghai Shendi Group holds 57 percent of the shares, while Disney holds the remaining 43 percent.

Shanghai Shendi Group owns 30 percent of the management company and Disney has a 70-percent stake.